13th century château hotel in Burgundy
The 13th century : the beginnings
The long history of a château seeing the light of day in southern Burgundy in the Middle Ages is rarely devoid of rough patches.
The Château was thus threatened right from its inception. A legal document dated September 1235 and bearing the seal of Louis IX, later to become Saint Louis, tells us that the powerful Abbaye de Cluny was to try in vain to prevent the Count of Mâcon, the Lord of Igy, from undertaking or pursuing the construction of a fortified manor, in spite of the rights the monks insisted they had over the land.
The owners of the domain of Igy are at the beginings, Alix of Macon, (last Countess of Macon and cousin of Blanche of Castille and Alienor of Aquitaine) and John of Dreux, Count of Dreux and of Braine, who is a troubadour known in the name of John of Braine. It is still possible to find 4 songs of him.
John of Braine goes to Crusade and died in 1239. Alix of Macon made install a dog in stone on the roof symbol of fidelity. The dog still warns the domain. Alix of Mâcon didn't want to get married again and decided to sell the castle to the King of France and retired in an abbey. She became the first Abbess of Notre-Dame du Lys. She died there in 1260.
The Château became a royal domain: : the chatelain had the right to dispense justice at all levels over Igé and several neighboring villages.